Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Vampire Mythology: Different Species Part 1

That's right, I'm back! With some succulent info. on our fangy friends.
Different Species
Part 1
Now some of you are probably aware of this (and if you aren't, you better pay attention!), but in literature and the media everyone seems to have their own opinions and views on what vampires should be like. We know that vampires in the Buffyverse look like every day humans until it's time to feed, and then BAM! They morph into their true hideous natures before sinking their fangs into someone's neck. Then, if a Slayer happens to come along, all it takes is one swift jab in the heart for these monsters to collapse into a pile of dust and ash (the sun could also work too).

With Vampire Diaries (I'm using the TV show since it's there and it's visual) they get these weird vainy things beneath their eyes before their eyes turn red and they go in for the kill with their fangs. They too can be killed with stakes, but they don't turn into dust. Their entire bodies get all vainy and they lose their paleness to become grey statue-like corpses.

And then there is of course, Stephenie Meyer. She came out of nowhere in 2003 and brought us-vampires without fangs??? Sparkles in the sunlight? Can only be ripped to shred and burned in order for them to die? What is the world coming to?


Some vampire purists cried "FOUL!" when they heard about these Twilight wannabe-vampires (Twilight fans please don't hurt me, I'm just the messenger!) and some even said that Meyer ruined everything about vampires. Is that true though? Can we really sit here and say that Stephenie Meyer's vampires aren't really vampires? They feed on human blood, unless they choose not to, they can't go out in the sunlight, they're fast, have razor sharp teeth, and are practically indestructable (not to mention attractive like many other vampires we know *coughAngelSpikeLouisLestatStefanDamoncough*)

My take on all of this: If vampires really existed, there would be different species, different types of vampires.

It makes sense doesn't it? If there can be different races when it comes to humanity, why can't vampires have it too?

Now everybody shake hands and make peace with each other. There's no sense in arguing over which type of vampire is the REAL vampire because everyone has their own preference. I love all vampires whether they sparkle in the sun or burn away in a huge ball of fire. I have favorite vampires of course (if you can't tell by my name, I'm a Buffy loyalist at heart) but that doesn't mean I don't like the Underworld vampires or Anne Rice's vampires any less (no worries Underworld and Rice fans, I got you covered). I've never seen Tru Blood, but I'm sure I would like their take on vampires as well.

I know I should be informing you about all the cool vampire history and mythology stuff and telling you what the Romanians thought vampires were as opposed to the Hungarians and the people of the UK, but I just wanted to get this all out there beforehand. It's okay for other people to disagree and have their own ideas on vampires. History shows that people who lived thousands of years before us already had their theories (reason for the Black Plague, anyone? Lilith ring a bell?)

So before I start on anymore history and mythology I ask you all to please think about vampires as several different species rather than the one you're so determined is correct or the one you heart loves most. I'm pretty sure they all want to suck your blood anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment